Cassava cake and Leche flan are among the most popular dessert in Philippines. Traditional cassava cake is made from grated cassava with coconut milk, condensed milk and top with cheese or coconut strings. And leche flan is a Filipino version of crème caramel, a custard dessert with caramel sauce on top and its main ingredient is egg yolks.
Both desserts are mostly prepared during special occasions like birthdays and fiestas but nowadays this can be eaten as a merienda or even a dessert after meal.
Since these dessert are my favorite I decided why not combined these two and make it as one ultimate sweet treat! So i made it and on my first try.... I wasn't disappointed It's so GOOD! The creamy texture of the flan complement very well on the moist cassava cake. For me it's a perfect combination and you should try this and impress your family and friends :)
NOTE: If you know how to make cassava cake and leche flan then this recipe is easy. To summarize make the flan first then add the cassava mixture on top of the flan then bake.
Leche Flan ingredients:
8 egg yolks
1 can 12 oz condensed milk
1 can 12 oz evaporated milk
3 tsp calamansi/lemon juice
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
Cassava Cake ingredients:
16 oz grated cassava
1 can 12oz evaporated milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup can 12oz condensed milk
1/4 cup white sugar
2 whole eggs
1st Step - Make the leche flan
- In a bowl add the egg yolks and beat them using a whisk.
- Add condensed milk and whisk thoroughly.
- Add evaporated milk and calamansi/lemon juice, mix well.
- In a small pan add the sugar and water, mix well using a spoon.
- Cook the caramel mixture in low heat until light brown.
- Distribute the caramel sauce in 3 large llaneras (if you don't have llanera you can use 1 large round baking pan).
- Let the caramel set for 3 minutes until it hardens.
- Pour the egg mixture almost halfway on the llanera ( don't overfill the llanera because you still need to add the cassava mixture later).
- Cover the top of llanera with aluminum foil.
- Steam your flan mixture for 20 minutes or until firm (not necessary to fully cook because you're going to finish cooking with the cassava mixture).
2nd Step - Make the cassava cake
- While waiting for the flan to cook pre heat the oven at 350F.
- In a bowl combine all the cassava cake ingredients, mix very well.
- When flan is ready remove it from the steamer and discard the foil.
- Pour the cassava mixture gently on each llanera with flan until almost full.
- Bake the llanera with cassava and flan mixture for 40 mins or until cassava is firm. Do the toothpick test for doneness.
- Let it cool completely. Turn each llanera upside down on a plate.
- Share and enjoy your cassava flan! :D
Hope you enjoy this recipe. ☺️ If you have questions comment below.